The East Tennessee Development District Solid Waste Program is funded through a grant from the State of Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and provides reporting and technical assistance as well as grant preparation and administrative services to the counties and municipal solid waste regions within the ETDD region.
The program enables the District to update regional plans prepare annual solid waste progress reports as required by the State of Tennessee. In addition, the District will help obtain industrial recycling figures that can be used toward the 25% waste reduction mandate by the State of Tennessee.
Technical assistance is available through our solid waste planner in many areas related to solid waste, including the following:
- Designing, implementing, upgrading and maintenance of solid waste programs and facilities;
- Evaluating various end-use and disposal options for waste tires;
- Needs assessment evaluation for the county or region;
- Promotion and preparation for a household hazardous waste collection event;
- Various other issues such as siting and permitting convenience centers, starting recycling programs, providing minor technical assistance on landfill issues or by referring the official to others that have information relevant to the issue on which assistance is needed.
The District provides the research, preparation, submission and administration of grants related to solid waste. This service extends to tire recycling grants, used oil recycling grants, planning grants, recycling rebate grants, recycling equipment grants and various other solid waste related grants as they become available. Equipment grants can include many items including recycling trailers, recycling containers, brush chippers, leaf vacuums, bailers, bobcats, oil burner heating units, tow motors as well as other small items of equipment.
For further information, please contact Mitch Loomis at (865) 273-6003 or by email at email@example.com.